Package 1
During Package 1, I learnt that small default in storing of raw ingredients, handling of ingredients during the process or packing of end-product can be fatal. Both company and consumers suffers great loss. This is when HACCP become very crucial in food industries as the production are in bulk.
In this project, I was required to recommend the essential process during the making of the product in order to reduce food contamination. It refreshed my memory on what I had done for the previous modules (FPQA). For example, GMP must be carried out to ensure the food products are safe to be consumed.
Personal hygiene is one of the examples. All the food handlers must know and conduct a good personal hygiene. Washing hands before handling food or throwing rubbish, wearing of gloves and face mask may reduce the spread of unwanted and harmful microorganisms. This might sound easy and simple, however, poor standard of personal hygiene means higher chance of food contamination.
Package 2
The topic of Genetically Modified (GM) Food was completely new to our group. Thus, a lot of research had to be done before we actually understand what the topic is about. Sharing of information and videos among the group members have greatly help me in understanding this topic.
For this package, our group decided to focus on Golden Rice. I was assigned to research on the use of GM foods from various sources. Based on my research, most countries that grow genetically modfied food use this modification to ensure sufficient food supply for its growing population or to improve the nutrition of the food.
This topic has greatly widened my knowledge about genetically modified food . I learned about the content from the use, benefits, cotroversy that have surfaced about this modification. Not forgetting about methods and techniques of isolation and detection of the food borne pathogens in which affect the human body too.
Personal
The times during the first few discussions of package 1 were challenging. I realised that discussing project via MSN was a huge different compared to having a face-to-face discussion. During face-to-face discussion, voicing out opinions are much easier, however, online discussion is another story. It is much easier now as I get used to it.
I also learned the importance of team work. I feel blessed as other group members want to share their findings online. This helps me a lot in my understanding of the topic. It is also easier to do the project as the tasks were divided into smaller parts to be reserached.