<body>
everything you need to know about
FoodSafety
info
Applied Food Science & Nutrition
TA03 group 2
Food Safety

group members
ALICIA
ANDREA
FIRHANAH
HUITENG
NICHOLAS
STEFFI
YUYUAN
tagboard
past research
May 2010 June 2010 July 2010
Reflection by Nicholas Tan
Monday, July 12, 2010 @ 8:00 AM
Reflection for Package 1

For Package 1, my part for the research is on the product recall. During the research on product recall, I had to read up on the online articles, books and search in the FDA website on what circumstances when a product recall has to take place, the different classes to determine the severity of the product recall and the formation of the product recall team and lastly the aftermath of the incidence on how to regain the consumers’ confidence on the previously affected products.

Besides that, from this package I learnt that product recall can caused serious effect on the manufacturer’s reputation and in result to law suits and eventually the closure of the food establishment. This package had taught me on how to establish a product recall procedure and integrating the HACCP principles into the case study when a product recall is needed in order to meet the regulation by the government agencies.

And lastly, the team have helped me a lot in providing some constructive feedback to me which I can focus on to my case study. With their pointers and constructive feedback, I am able to work it out well in this part.

Reflection for Package 2

For Package 2, my part for the research is on the principle of some microbiological techniques isolation and identification of foodborne pathogens such as DNA probes and Enzyme immunoassays. For this area, this is quite a challenging part and a new area for me. In order to tackle this part for my report, I had to find resources from the internet and make use of the relevant resources which can be found in the library. From there, I am able to locate the Immunoassays and DNA probes in which to detect the foodborne pathogens.

This package requires a lot of coordination between the group mates because this package which is on Genetically Modified Food area is a completely new area for us. This package requires us to start from scratch. We had to share information on this area through Ole-blackboard so to keep us update on the issues.

And lastly, this package had taught me on the importance of team skills and the content of the Genetically Modified Food, methods and techniques of isolation and detection of the food borne pathogens in which can harm the human body.

Overall for both packages

In this food safety, our team has been confined to 2 packages and a submission of 2 reports after that. My team will meet up during the evening despite of the busy schedule in the SIP and discuss the part of our report. Everyone in the team is relatively present in every meeting, work as a cohesive group and delegation of work with agreement on how to combine those efforts from the research we had spent on. This is generally in agreement with the readings in that successful teams trust each other, are not afraid of conflict, are committed, accountable of their work they had done, and have attention to the progression of the results. So far I think the team I have worked on have been true teams, rather than working groups or dysfunctional team.

In many aspects it is easier for me to work in a group on a project as the group setting assists in setting goals, breaking the task down into smaller steps. Otherwise I have a tendency to leave things until the last minute and then panic over the big picture rather than concentrating on working through the sub-sections on the way to completion.

I am usually pretty good at the following skills:
• Brainstorming on the particular topic
• Finding my resources through journal articles, books and internet

Besides that, I am always trying to improve on my time management skills. This has always been my challenge. By tracking assignments ahead of time, prepare myself during meetings in advance and frequently communicating and updating with the teammates via the ole bb. And from there, I will be the asset of the team in my future project.

Posted by: Nicholas Tan